Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Second Solo Road Trip

Welcome to Frances Takes Another Vacation!

"I think that every woman should give themselves permission to vacation alone at some point in their lives. Fear was never a factor for me, and the longer I planned this trip, the more adventurous and courageous I became. I trusted my spirit guides and just knew that whatever came about in the trip would be a life learning event. I also trusted that I would always be put in the direction of some healthy, traveling individuals, who were just as interested in experiencing California as I was. I met many such people." (Excerpt from Frances Takes A Vacation, August 19, 2010) 
This has been one heck of a year and there was a moment that I didn't think another road trip would be possible. Well, enough of that negative thinking! Given that I have survived a south of the border Federale invasion, a Cervical Laminectomy with Decompression and Fusion of C3-6 (Google that!), aggressive physical rehabilitation, moving from my huge fireplace lined upstairs bedroom to a downstairs 2 x 4, living in California and not being able to drive cuz I can't move my neck, increased work responsibilities, my baby boy turning 21, and the sudden loss of a dear patient, I have decided that a simple road trip will be a piece of cake! The silver lining was that the year ended with a huge sunflower extravaganza in my front yard, and best of all, a huge comfort knowing that the greatest things in life are found in family and friends. I would not have survived without the love, care and support of all those who love me. My days of recovery were filled with lots of reflecting and some random remembrances. One memory was the "Do-Again" scene from the movie City Slickers. This road trip is my "Do-Again". I am dedicating it to all my friends, my family, my adult stroke recovery group, my dinner makers and deliverers, my gift givers, my chauffeurs, my hand holders, the phone chainers, and my pugs. So sit back and enjoy watching me "Do-It Again" and pay close attention as I  "Do-It Again Topless"!
In a day or two, I will begin posting my road trip plans as I did last year. This trip will be a spin off from last year so if you like, go to www.francestakesavacation.blogspot.com for a reminder of the fun I had.
I am so excited and can't wait to share.

1 comment:

  1. Wow,, your journey begins, I am so proud of you doing this, I know I am not the brave heart like you, guess I need to grow some balls, like some people would say lol. But, I think I would go by train because I don't like driving, with that said, I really admire you and praise you for who you are and how you have grown in your own skin. I look forward to reading your daily blog when you head out on your new journey. May God watch over you and enjoy each new horizon you come upon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete