Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Anastamosis


I learned a new word this week. Anastamosis, in a network of streams, is the reconnection of two streams that previously branched out. A good example is the Saskatchewan River in Canada pictured below.


 Mono Lake, in Lee Vining, is my Anastamosis. Last year, I fell in love with Mono Lake. I drank wonderful coffee, ate fresh berry muffins, hiked, horseback rode, visited Bodie Ghost Town,  made a good friend, and studied the Lake. The simplicity of the ecosystem there, and the magnificence of the Lake was overpowering. The Lake and I connected, we went our separate ways, and now we are reconnecting. And, since I am a member of the Mono Lake Committee, I have to go and check up on things officially. So, I will once again stay for three days with the folks at the El Mono Motel and Latte Da CafĂ© and have several day adventures including wine tasting at the Tioga Lodge, and a front row view for a Perseids Meteorite Shower. While visiting, I will be canoeing on Mono Lake. I am hopeful that my childhood best friend will be able to come to the Lake and canoe with me, if her schedule will allow. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could meet up with you at the Latte Da! Maybe next year? Say hi to Kelly & Rena - and have a blast!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I can't believe it's been a year and you are still on the road. I think of you so often and keep peeking at your blog. I'll have a Latte for you! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete