Sunday, August 21, 2011

I Found You Mt. Whitney


Convict Lake
 Today I am a bit melancholy as I had to say goodbye to Mono Lake. I checked out around 9:00 am and bought a raspberry muffin for the road. So long the Lake! My first stop, however, was at Convict Lake. I have fished Convict Lake many years ago with Randy. This was a great memory.




Keuogh Hot Springs Mineral Pool

I was on Highway 395 and suddenly came upon the Keough Hot Springs which are located just south of Bishop. I took the turn off and went about a mile down the road to the hot springs. This place was a gold mine! I got off the car and went inside. It was a mecca of retro artifacts. This site was founded in the early 1900’s and since that time has been a secret hide away for people who just want to relax. There are several small natural hot springs on the site, but I spent most of the day there soaking up the sun and enjoying the 88 degree spring water in the public swimming pool.


Hillside Hot Springs
 By late afternoon, I manage to get to my next historical site….Manzanar,  which is just north of Lone Pine. Manzanar is one of ten camps where over 10,000 Japanese Americans were interned during World War II. . In 1943, Ansel Adams visited Manzanar and took photos that captured the daily life and its surroundings. To me, places like Manzanar were not one of our finer moments.  






Watch Tower at Manzanar
 I arrived at my next destination, Lone Pine around dinner time. My room has a direct view of Mt. Whitney. I sat in the hotel salon and l listened as mountain cllimbers came in and told stories of their successful climbs to the top of Mt. Whitney. One couple got engaged at midnight on top of the mountain. A bit romantic indeed.

Today was a day full of sun and I am exhausted. I have decided to stay in and continue reading Vertical. Miles and Jack have me captivated.

Mondays Plan: The Alabama Hills and the Lone Pine Movie Museum.

Dow Villa Hotel


2 comments:

  1. Wow how exciting to find the hot spring and just soak up the sun and view. Sounds like another eventful day tomorrow, I hope you will have time to check out the Luffa Farm in Nipomo on your way home. Good night and enjoy reading Vertical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Vertical?? How nice a hot spring sounds right about now :b

    I hope you overcome your melancholy mood and get back to what really matters: Wine

    ReplyDelete