Friday, August 19, 2011

California


This morning I actually slept in until 8:00am.  I jumped out of bed and thought, “I missed my vacation!” I quickly got myself together and then went out to start the day. I began at the Mono Lake Committee Information Center. I chatted for a bit and bought a few gifts, (Sapphire, Tyler’s beloved, is so lucky she turns 21 on Monday), and then went out for a walk.

Mono Lake Committee Info Center


Upside Down House
 There are so many things to do in Lee Vining. First on the list was a distinctive local landmark and nationally renowned tourist attraction, “The Upside Down House”. It was created by visionary and entrepreneur Nelly Bly O’Brien and has been known as Mono County’s first non man-made tourist attraction. I wonder how she didn’t fall out of bed at night.
From there, I drove to the South Tufas at the Lake. It is beautiful there. Seems to me that the plant life is much fuller here than last year. It feels more volcanic also.  I sat for awhile and visited with some of the tourists there.


South Tufas at Mono Lake
After leaving Mono Lake, I decided to take the June Lake loop. This is one of the many reasons California is such a beautiful land. By the way, does anyone know how California got its name? Well, there are a few theories including some guy just came up with the name off the top of his head. The one I like best is a 16th century story…Las Sergas de Esplandián (The Adventures of Esplandián) by Spanish author Garci Rodríguez de Montalvo. He talks about a mythical island, the Island of California, that was only inhabited by beautiful, robust Amazonian women who were very strong. There were no men on the island. It was ruled by Queen Calafia. These women were warriors who fought with golden tools because gold was the only metal found on the island. Their island was the strongest in the world. I like this story.
So on the loop I passed Grants Pass Lake, Silver Lake and of course, June Lake. I listened to Neil Young’s  Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, in it’s entirety, thanks to last nights late night conversation with my friend Sean. La la la la la la la! I highly recommend you take this ride someday.

Silver Lake




June Mountain overlooking June Lake



My day ended with a stop at the Whoa Nellie Deli. I had their legendary lobster taquitos. Sorry to say that, although they were excellent and very colorful….they tasted just like Jack in the Box tacos. I did not taste lobster which was a huge disappointment as the meal was priced at $18.00. Taco Girl, you still rule! My good news of the day is I bought a bottle of Parker Station Pinot Noir. Now I can continue reading Vertical.

Legendary Lobster Taquitos



Tomorrow: Canoe trip on Mono Lake.
New language heard today….Portuguese.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome,awesome I can't say enought on how your trip is going so eventful, sorry about your tacos, but would love to taste your sisters tacos. Glad you got some Pinot Noir to drink while ready Vertical, how's that coming, a shocker huh, don't worry it gets better. Looking forward to hearing your canoe trip tomorrow. Sweet dreams, Love Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time! I am following you now. Please stop by and visit me too on my blog...

    ciao!

    ReplyDelete